BlockWaste is a research project co-funded by the Internal Security Fund of the European Union that run from 1.1.2016 to 31.12.2017.
Results of work package 1 published. See more
BlockWaste will arrange the final seminar on 23rd November 2017 in Brussels jointly with Dotcom Waste. See more
BlockWaste aims to provide strategic analysis of the threats and risks related to illicit trafficking of waste (IWT) across Europe in order to improve the prevention capabilities of EU public and private agencies.
The project consortium includes three partners:
- Police University College (project coordinator, Finland)
- Transcrime (Italy)
- Tilburg University (the Netherlands)
In addition, the Police Department of Itä-Uusimaa (Finland) brings practitioners' insight to the project as an associate partner.
- to provide advanced knowledge on the most common modus operandi, routes and types of IWT;
- to identify the loopholes in the current regulation that could generate criminal opportunities;
- to estimate revenues of IWT in the 28 EU Member States in order to highlight the areas at higher risk and impact of IWT;
- to chart emerging threats in the waste trafficking sector;
- to set the ground for more effective cross-border cooperation in this field;
- to provide recommendations to EU public authorities in order to prevent IWT at EU level.